Thursday, January 10, 2008

Our big D

I love this boy! He brings so much joy to our lives and is so much fun. He definitely takes after his Mama with his dramatic personality, excitement about life (and the little, simple things) and mood swings. It has been so fun as he is growing up to hear his new words, phrases, friends and obsessions. Right now he loves the trash truck. Every week he gets so excited to see the trash truck come by and stands by the window watching the men through the trash in the back of the truck. The other day he was in our closet with Mat and started talking to him about his flip-flops, Mat yelled out "when did he learn to say flip-flop?". It seems like daily he is learning so much. He is an incredible soccer player and kicks the ball so well (even while running)! He laughs hard, plays hard, & cries hard. One of my favorite things recently is how from reading the Book of Mormon as a family at night he has learned through pictures about the prophets and loves to hear stories from the Bible as well as the Book of Mormon. every night he has to see the pictures of "big Jes" (Jesus" and "little Jes" (baby Jesus) and talks about Mary holding him. He learned that the prophet Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and then we started talking about who our prophet was today. When the conference edition of the Ensign came he saw President Hinckley on the cover and yelled "Hinckley" (we're still working on the President part). He since has learned to say President Monson and President Eyring. It is so cute to hear how excited he gets to pray for the Prophet and his family. Sorry for the brag session, I just wanted to record some of the precious and sweet things he is doing right now. He truly warms my heart. Now if I can just get him to play nicely with his little brother and learn to share. I guess one thing at a time, right? These pictures were from the last couple of weeks, the first is him lounging while watching The Polar Express, his current favorite, while eating a banana. One day when he would not go down for a nap during the day, by 5 pm he was in front of the kitchen sink out cold as I cooked dinner and pureed vegetables. The other picture is him wearing my flip flops, two different pairs, oftentimes with socks on (such a no no). My favorite part is that when he puts them on the left foot he never puts them in between the right toes usually the 3rd and 4th toes. It's pretty cute! He truly is a joy in our lives.

6 comments:

E said...

So cute! I want to come over and play with you guys.

Ashley said...

Cute Derek... i love that boy. I hope it's not too long before we get to see him and kiss those adorable chubby cheeks he's got :).

HeRoosSheRoos said...

Ahhh, he seems like such a good boy!

heidi said...

Oh he is so darn cute! I still can't believe just how big he is getting! My goodness! I hope all is well with your family! Miss you guys!

Erika said...

He is growing up so fast! And brag some more--I love hearing all those cute, great details!

Elder & Sister Thiess said...

LINDS, DEREK AND WILL......WE CAN'T WAIT TILL YOU COME NEXT MONTH! MAT, WE'RE SO SAD YOU CAN'T COME TOO! IT WILL BE A WONDERFUL WEEK TOGETHER. I LOVE SEEING HOW THE BOYS ARE GROWING AND LINDS, I'M SO PROUD OF YOUR MOTHERING. IT MAKES YUR MOTHER PROUD!!!