Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ready or not, here we go!

So, D goes back to school in the fall. He has to be potty trained to be in his class. He has had no desire to start. I think the time has come that we have to at least try. The other day he was up in his room napping, or so I thought. I heard little footsteps and went up to check in on him. I found he had gotten in his drawer and pulled out his new big boy underwear that we are saving for when he sits on the toilet. This is how I found him.

He had both legs through one hole and all three pairs pulled up trying to get them over his shorts. It was adorable. I thought, hey, maybe we are one step closer to trying. We'll probably attempt in the next couple of weeks. Pointers anyone?

5 comments:

Erika said...

So funny! I have absolutely no advice on potty training. Incentives didn't work with Andrew, then they did. They don't work with Natalie yet. Hoping they do soon. I am so sick of changing about 12 diapers a day!!!! I can only say, "Good Luck!"

Krissy Lowe said...

Good luck, all I know is that they have to decide when they are ready, and it looks like he is getting to that point. Good luck

Brown Family said...

Linds,
I agree every kid potty trains different. For me, once I made the decision to do it, there was no looking back. I also did NOT do the pull up thing. I just bought a TON of underwear. At nap time we put a diaper on and took it right off. I stayed home for a week solid. I took them potty every 30 minutes until they got the hang of peeing. It is SO time consuming and a mess, but some kids are easy. My second child Brandon never had one accident. My oldest son was a nightmare. My third son wants to potty train right now and I don't want to...At any rate, you will get it done. Just be patient. I think I was too stressed and not patient enough with my first. Tips: Wrap some presents from the dollar store and every time you have success for #2 and let him have one. Give him an m&m every time he goes Pee. Keep a smile on your face. It's rough, but you can do it. (By the way, I have always said it is my least favorite thing to do as a mother and if I could hire it out....beleive me I WOULD!) Much luck to you!

April said...

Similar comment...take them every hour or 30 minutes (whichever works. I took Kara 30 min. in the beginning and then every 60 minutes) consistently and make them sit on the potty...whether they go or not, but then they get use to sitting on the potty. And then when they "make" we had a sticker chart...and after so many stickers...a reward. Just like with D and his Glove...
That's what worked for us. and diddo on Pull-ups...don't do them!

Steph said...

Hi Linds!
We had great success potty training Zach. I recommend the book, "How to potty train your child in one day."
Basically you get them all excited for the big day you will start and have a potty party at the end of the day where you throw away all the diapers. You spend the whole day with treats and drinks ( to make them pee a bunch) and prizes. We didn't use any sort of pull up or diaper after that day. He was completely potty trained ( no accidents) in 5 days nad we never looked back.
Good luck!
Steph