
So this morning I was sitting on the couch, cuddling my boys and watching Charlie and Lola when I heard Lue (our German Shephard) growling and barking at something. Then I hear hissing and I thought maybe a cat had gotten in the backyard. I went outside on the deck to see what was going on and Lue was fighting with a racoon. I yelled at her enough to get her upstairs and into the house. She obviously was amped up. I went out again to see what was happening with the racoon and it was limping and having a hard time trying to climb a tree. My neighbor happened to be home today so I called him (being too much of a wimp myself) to come and make sure he couldn't find it. He searched the tree and looked under the deck and couldn't find it. He thought since Lue had had the upperhand the coon was probably long gone.
Fast forward an hour, I'm outback trying to get the lawn mowed as Mat has a lot going on and the weather is beautiful. I have the boys with me. Will goes under the deck and starts playing with Lue's kennel, hitting it, etc. I see Lue over there pawing at the kennel when I hear something inside. My heart dropped and I ran as fast as I could to scoop Will up and get the boys inside. Wish I could have seen how fast we moved on video. I called animal control and told them we had an injured racoon. They got here about 20 minutes later, about eight neighborhood kids were watching intensely over the fence for a racoon sighting. He eventually got it into a carrier and told me it looked like it had distemper. How scary! I am so grateful that little Will did not get scratched or bitten by it.
The funny thing is it brought me back to when I was growing up in Connecticut and we had a hurricane. After the storm there were two baby racoons stuck up in one of our trees and after a day it was evident the Mom was not coming back. We somehow got them down and kept them as pets in kennels for a while...seriously! What were we thinking?! I don't remember the details much other than playing with them and that we had them for probably a month or so. Eventually they got mean, especially the girl and we had to give them to the Nature center but it was neat to say we had two pet racoons for a while.
6 comments:
We've had a few run in with racoons in our backyard...they're scary. One night a really big one was scratching at our sliding glass door...Court tried to shoo it away but it just sat there and hissed at him. They're sooo mean. It's a good thing Lue is tough...our little dogs wouldn't have faired so well in a fight.
What a crazy morning. I am glad that Lue and the boys are okay!
I would freak out also. So glad Will was not bitten. Scary morning for y'all!!! Love that you had pet racoons when you were young. Funny how things didn't seem to worry our parents back then!
So glad you are all just fine. I didn't realize that racoons were so mean.
That is such a crazy story. Brent found a couple in a tree at my parents house and shot them. So, I guess that is always an option.
I LOVE that picture of you guys at the pumpkin patch!
Post a Comment