Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Croup...

So last night about ten I heard Will through the monitor breathing odd. Mat went up to check on him and it just sounded as if he was snoring. A couple of minutes later I heard him just start screaming, which he doesn't ever do. I ran upstairs as fast as I could and he was breating erraticaly. It was like he couldn't get a breathe. It was so scary. I ran downstairs with him, totally freaking out and not knowing what to do. I called my sister who has had some experience with kids and rsv and she listened to him trying to breath and just said we needed to get him in right away. We called the Shipps and Phil came over right away to stay with Derek. We brought him into the urgent care at Children's Mercy South which was just fabulous. They told us he had croup and gave him some oral steroids to help the inflamation of his vocal chords go down. They were great they followed up with the geneticist on call (the ones we meet with about the GA-1) and let us know exactly what we need to be extra cautious about (if his fever spikes, he stops eating, etc.). Will is doing so much better today, sounds great and is eating, etc. I think we caught it early. There are few things I've experienced that are more frightening then watching your child suffer and feeling totally helpless. So glad he is ok!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so glad he's okay too! Give him a big hug from us...

Burridge said...

I sure hope he's feeling better...this poor baby needs a break.

Melissa said...

Linds-
It's Missy! I was thinking about you the other day. Today I googled your name to see if by chance you have a blog and I was so excited to track you down! How fun! You look great and you have a cute little family! It was fun to see what you are up to-
You can check my family out at
http://planetgiles.blogspot.com/
Love,
Missy

ShOrt StoRy said...

Linds I totally know that feeling, when I was pregnant with Reid, Jack woke up in the middle of the night and it sounded like he stopped breathing, his lips were bluish and we ended up calling 911. It was one of the scariest moments I've ever had. Jack also had croup and they told us what to do, steam from the shower, etc. I am so glad he's getting better.

Erika said...

Scary! I'm so glad he's feeling better. He is so cute--I can't believe it has been so long since I've seen you guys!

Chris Grover said...

Hey Lindsay! Sorry I haven't commented sooner, but I am so excited you have a blog! This is WAY scary and I'm so glad Will is feeling better. I am getting nervous for winter and what sicknesses little Kaiya is going to encounter! I'm glad everything turned out ok with Will.