Friday, May 23, 2008

A shift in beds

Will, obviously ready to be out of the port a crib...at almost 15 months, who can blame him?
Will, SO happy to be in his "new" crib in his own nursery!


D, loving his big boy bed.


Since Will was born he has slept in the pack and play. Derek was still in his crib and we didn't want to buy a second crib thinking Derek would start climbing out any day. It never happened. So Will has continued to be in the pack and play and been a good sport about it. Last summer I got a screaming deal on some bunk beds off Craigs List ($50) for the boys room (still thinking any day D would be ready for the big boy bed. Well he continued to be fine in his crib and we didn't want to ruin a good thing. Still slept great and would take a nap daily. I liked him being a confined and knowing he wasn't getting into any trouble in there.
Well a couple of weeks ago he started asking if he could sleep in his big boy bed. We tried it out for a nap a couple of days and he did great. Then that Saturday night he wanted to sleep all night in it. We went for it and haven't looked back. He has done awesome! Knock on wood...he loves it, doesn't get out when he shouldn't and is still taking his 2-3 hour naps. So the night after we moved D into his big bed we moved Will into the crib. Yeah, finally a real crib. He is thrilled and still sleeps great.
I did feel for a couple of days a little bit of sadness that my little bubba (Derek) is growing up and now is a little boy. I mourned the loss of his days in the nursery, knowing that life will began to move faster and faster. I guess having these little ones grow up just means new and different memories and experiences though I will always cherish the days when they wanted me to cuddle them, read to them and I never wanted to let them go.

10 comments:

Whitney said...

Amen to that! I'm starting to wonder if we did the right thing (A was not climbing out of his crib, slept great, etc, etc, but we worried with the new baby about where she would sleep since we put our kids in their cribs at about 3 days old! :)) with the 5:52 wake up and wandering about in his room this morning...Does D do that?! Any suggestions?!

Hillary said...

It is so sad when you realize your babies are growing up...I really would love for Trevor to be 2 again. Aubree is at such a fun stage where she is learning so many new things.

E said...

Such cute kids!

Suzanne said...

Big step going from the crib to the bed. Congrats on the success. And I love the color red on the wall with the beige on the top!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

Oh Will looks so happy in the crib. We just put back together the crib for Trev, and put the top bunk on Ryley's bed, and she's now in love with her bed again. Remember how she reverted back to the porta-crib after we'd made the adjustment to the bed?? We realized putting her on the top bunk was the ticket! She loves it, and she can't get out/down without our help... perfect :)

I'm so excited that both Ryley and Derek both have bunks, then they can have sleep overs in their bunks when we're at each other's house!!

Nellie said...

Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I found your blog through Nathan Seller's blog...your boys are so cute! I have two little girls who are close to the same ages as yours...my blog is nellieandbubba.blogspot.com. Tell your family hi for me!
Nellie (Mauler)

Jennie Blaser said...

Hey Lindsay! I found your blog through Brian and Mindy. Good to catch up on your fun life! Teya (almost 3) is still in her crib -- and we aren't in any hurry to get her out!

Krissy Lowe said...

Yeah for Derek and Will! I am so jealous that he will still take naps in his big boy bed.

Erika said...

Andrew was in his crib until he was 3 1/2 :-) So glad the transition was so smooth. I'm with you on the torn feelings...celebrating them growing up but so sad that they aren't little any more!