Friday, June 20, 2008

A small setback...

So we took off yesterday for a cabin with some friends up in Missouri. I was SO excited, Mat took today off work (which is a rarity) and I spent yesterday finishing packing for the cabin and also Denver (the boys and I will be there helping out with my sisters kids), and then baking goodies for the family outing. We got the car loaded and pulled out about 6:30 p.m. The rains had started but it wasn't horrible, halfway there we got a call from friends about an hour ahead of us that the traffic was being diverted and there was flash flooding. They were concerned that since we were even further behind, by the time we got there we wouldn't be able to make it through. We then found out one of the kids up there had the flu. After weighing the options we decided we better turn around. We couldn't risk the illness while on the road next week and didn't want the car to be swept away. So reluctantly we turned around. It was a very sad decision. I think I have such high expectations of outings/trips that I often end up dissapointed when it doesn't work out as planned, I need to find a way to adjust that. We ended up getting back to our house about 9 p.m. and some friends, the Coopers (who were following us) came over and we decided to do a slumber party here. We set up a movie for the kids in the basement, put the babies to bed and the adults played Family Feud (ended up in a tie...I demand a rematch Jeff and Becky at a time when my narcolepsy isn't kicking in), ate lots of snacks and even grilled smores over the grill (not the same as a fire but I really had been craving smores since we planned it). This morning we got up around 8 and had a big breakfast, our family was responsible for breakfast for the 5 families up there so I had lots of pancake mix, bacon, eggs, etc. It was yummy and just fun to hang out together. Coopers ended up heading up this afternoon to the cabin but b/c we fly out tomorrow we didn't feel like it could happen. Mat took this morning off, they went on a hunt for frogs at a park and then we took the boys to a great pool. Not what I'd had in mind but fun nonetheless. The Cooper kids and D on a frog hunt, D and Ashlyn on a walk. Below, Mat and the boys at the swim park and then the playset at this park. The funniest thing was when we first got there the water in and around the playset was freezing, the other pools had swim lessons going on so we braved the playland. I was holding Will and trying to stay somewhat dry. Mat went down a slide followed by D. I was looking for a way to get off with Will without getting soaked. As I pondered the huge bucket you see dumping over in this picture spilled over on us. Needless to say we were soaked and Will was hysterical. You can see in the picture of Mat and the boys he was still trying to get over his fear. He sat there in his arms for 45 minutes just sucking on his arm. D fell asleep in my lap, worn out from the late night movie and slumber party...good times!

9 comments:

Hillary said...

It sounds like you turned lemons into lemonade. Not surprising. If you have been craving s'mores you have to try this: make a graham cracker crust then pour a box of brownie mix made according to box instructions on top of the graham cracker crust and bake normally. Then when done baking take the brownies out of the oven and load a bunch of marshmallows on top and stick it back in the oven with the broiler on. The marshmallows fluff up and get nice and toasty. It is so good.

E said...

Sorry about the change in your big plans, but it sounds like it all turned out really well. That sleepover sounded like a blast. Have a good trip and call me when you get back!!

Jill said...

Sad to hear the cabin adventure turned out crazy. Looks like you still had fun with Coops. How could you all not have fun together!!! Fun sleepover idea!! Have a great time in Denver, see you soon.

Missi Waldron said...

I don't know whether to say "what a bummer", or "what a fun alternate route"! So sorry the original plan didn't go through, but you seemed to make up for it nicely. Have so much fun in Denver and I hope all goes as planned there!

Krissy Lowe said...

I am so sorry about the cabin plans. What a bummer, although the stomach flu is not fun. Sounds like a fun weekend though. Hillary's little dessert sounds soooo yummy. I am going to have to try it. Have fun in Denver and call me when you get a second.

Payne Family said...

Looks like you are having a fun summer. I hate when you are looking forward to something and it doesn't happen the way you planned. I looks like it all worked out in the end. I wias reading the earlier posts and I am glad I am not the only one that has kids in a pack and play. We have to get Trae a big boy bed soon so poor Gracee can have his crib.

Ashley said...

Sounds so fun! I wish i could have seen that bucket dump on you... So funny! Hope you're having fun in Denver... Love you!

Melissa said...

Oh Linds--that is classic! I am so sad that you weren't able to go to the cabin. I have a hard time "adjusting" my mind set when things don't go as I had imagined too. Glad you were able to still do some fun things. That is definitely a story you'll be telling for a while!

Jennie Blaser said...

I totally get in a bad mood when plans don't work out like I wanted them to. But, SERENDIPITY.