Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tis the Season!


The beautiful tree at Crown Center.

In the hustle and bustle of the business of the season it is so easy to get caught up in craziness (and I do). This year we started what we hope to be a tradition. We got the idea from my sister Tawna. We have an advent train and for every day in December we have an activity we pull out. This is our attempt at making sure we spend quality time doing something fun with our kids every day. I'll share some of our favorites: Watch a new Christmas movie, read a Christmas book, doorbell ditch with a fun treat (after we've enjoyed some together), build a snowman, sledding, sugar cookies, build a gingerbread house, fondue party, go watch a friends elementary Christmas concert, drive to look at Christmas lights, new mugs and hot cocoa while sharing favorite memories, go get frozen custard together, make scones one morning for breakfast.
Obviously the activities can be whatever works for your family, ages, etc. It has been fun to have these planned and have the boys pull a different one out every day.
The season has still been crazy. I think we pushed it a little much this last weekend between a night out ice skating followed by cinnamon rolls, etc. and wassail.

Mat and I skating in action, actually he pretty much dragged me around the rink as he loves to go fast!
Last night we did a fondue dinner and dessert for some great friends. The best part of last night was the nativity with the kids...it was awesome!

The kids after the nativity, you can tell Will would not have a part in it!
You throw in my attempt at 30 mini loaves of bread (two batches that have now flopped) and attempting to get the Christmas cards sent out and I am trying to not go batty. Tis the season!
By the way...we got a new camera and are so happy to finally have something to snap some photos with. I am still so far behind, I still need to write about Thanksgiving...ay yi yi!

D and Samantha holding "baby Avrie", D adores her!

14 comments:

Burridge said...

Looks like so much fun...although I'm not a big fan of ice skating...too afraid I'll break something and be out of commission.

It's funny we also did an activity advent calendar this year and the kids have loved it! Last night was our door bell ditch and leave treats activity and we had soooo much fun. They even enjoyed the simple ones like say "Merry Christmas" to each new person you see that day...it's been a big hit so far and will definitely be a tradition from now on. Tonight is watch The Grinch movie!

Jill said...

I already told you how much I loved your bread, but don't mind telling you again. It was so good. Sorry to hear the other batches have not worked as well. The kids all look so cute doing the Nativity. I do think you've overworked yourself(You and Matt are so great), but such is how this time of year is. Good Times with friends and family. Love ya!!!

aimee said...

i love the advent train idea - thank you!

Jennie Blaser said...

What a great idea! We always start off December with these grand plans to read stories each night, do fun things, etc, but by about the 10th, they have fizzled... we are just lucky to get through the month! Although Eden was big enough to help me this year with neighbor gifts and cards... :)

Despain Family said...

This is a fabulous idea. I think we will do something similar. Amber

Whitney said...

very great idea on the advent train. if you have a picture of it, i'd love to see it!

Jenny said...

We are so sorry we missed out on the Party! Maybe next time. We had fun at FHE doing Nativity and eating yummy food with the kids, thanks for having us!

srosenau said...

i love your ice skating pic! be safe on your drive to co. love you!

Melissa said...

Thanks for the fun advent idea. I'll have to remember that one. Merry christmas!

Sheri Willardson said...

Lindsay-Hey, I just clicked on your facebook account and saw that you have a blog. I think I like blogging a little better than facebook, so I thought I would leave you our email-if you email me I can send you a link to our blog (its private). tswillardson@yahoo.com

Hope you had a great holiday season! You look great-and your kids are so cute! Take care!

Mary Bishop said...

Linds and Mat,
Loved reading about your holidays. Sorry we missed your skating party again this year. It was fun to see the photos of scenes my kiddos should have been in. Both sides of the family cancelled the nativity party this year. What a bummer.

We enjoyed meeting your brother-in-law at the Peter Brienholt concert a couple of weeks back. He must have thought we were stalkers or something.

Enjoy January. It's such a calm month. Yeah!
Loves to you all,
Mary

forget laundry said...

merry christmas! I am so sorry I have not written you sooner. last time you wrote was so busy and I hope that you were not all worried about the comment meant for the other hillary you knew- no big deal. I really apologize this is months later. but! congrats on your pregnancy! you look great and I hope you are feeling great too. hope you have a great new year!

The Egglestons said...

What a great idea! I think we may have to try something like that next year. I'm so glad you posted about it. Thanks.

heidi said...

Hey thanks for your comment on my blog. I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Let me know if you are ever over here in UT. I can't believe how big your boys are. Oh my goodness!